The Alumna ONLY retreat is for painters that attended Paint FEARLESS Mexico before!
We’ll take in new sites, see new art, meet new artists & try out new restaurants.
But most of all we’re going to paint like our hearts are on fire.
Paint FEARLESS Mexico Alumna is open to alumna only. You know in your bones what magic Oaxaca holds — so lets go deeper.
Come join me in Oaxaca again!
Please read all of the following details before registering.
Your payments acts as agreement to the terms listed at the bottom of this page.
We'll head out on an adventure to Mitla -- a mountainside archeological site rich in history, mythos, and beautiful patterns.
As we explore Oaxaca…
I’ll invite you to embrace the world as an Artist — we’ll hunt for visual symbols, unveil revealing metaphors, and open ourselves to serendipity, creativity, and the sweetness of the unknown.
I’ll share with you my favorite ways of collecting the richness of Oaxaca in your sketchbook and studio log and then show you how to incorporate it into your painting practice.
I’ll encourage you to fully FEEL Oaxaca — to allow it to take over your senses and guide your body of work.
I’ll lead you to some of the most inspiring murals, studios, galleries and museums where we’ll overindulge in painting! painting! painting!
Here’s the itinerary…
- January 10: We’ll begin with tapas and orientation starting at 5 PM.
- January 11: Breakfast. Morning workshop & FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Break. Afternoon workshop & FEARLESS® Painting.
- January 12: Breakfast. Visit Mitla, the most important Zapotec archaeological site in all of Oaxaca, where we’ll sketch, stroll the colorful markets, and have lunch at a cozy cafe. Then, on the drive back we'll visit the Tule Tree -- the world's widest tree.
- January 13: Breakfast. Morning workshop & FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Break. Afternoon workshop & FEARLESS® Painting.
- January 14: Breakfast. Morning Workshop & FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Visit to the Painting Museum and Museum of Contemporary Art to see the new shows. Afternoon workshop & FEARLESS® Painting.
- January 15: Breakfast. We will take a lovely drive out of to the studio and home of Zapotec weavers in the town of Teotitlán del Valle. There we will attend a workshop and have a homemade lunch by our beloved weaver friends Juanita, Norma, and Lucy. We’ll also stroll the village, visit the church, and pop into the studio of master painter, sculptor, weaver: Pantaleon Ruiz. Last we'll visit a traditional mezcal factory on the ride back to Oaxaca.
- January 16: Breakfast. FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Final shows. Closing circle. Farewell dinner.
- January 17: Check out is at 11 AM. (No breakfast)
On our second adventure we'll explore the weaving village, Teotitlán del Valle, and take a workshop from traditional Zapotec weavers.
Here are the important details!
STARTS:: Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 5 PM with tapas and orientation.
ENDS: Saturday, January 16, 2021 with a group dinner at Restaurante Cathedral.
CHECK-OUT: is on Sunday, January 17, 2021 by 11 AM (breakfast not included).
PLACE: Casa Agave, a private colonial estate a few blocks from the Zocalo
SPACE IS LIMITED TO 8 PAINT FEARLESS MEXICO ALUMNA. THIS RETREAT INCLUDES PRIVATE ROOM WITH YOUR OWN FULL SIZE BED AND PRIVATE BATHROOM.
Included in Registration:
- 7 nights single occupancy lodging at a private estate.
- 6 breakfasts, 6 lunches, snacks, welcome tapas, & farewell dinner.
- Guided tour of the Museum of Oaxacan Painters, Museum of Contemporary Art, & the Textile Museum.
- Guided visit to Mitla archaeological site for touring & sketching.
- Guided visit to Tule tree and to the village of Teotitlán del Valle -- including a private workshop.
- Workshop instruction, support, and tons of one-on-one guidance from Connie Solera.
- All entrance fees and tips.
- Special FEARLESS® Painting hand outs to take home with you.
- Access to Connie Solera’s personal collage stash to use in your own work.
- An intimate glimpse into Connie Solera’s painting process as she builds a body of work.
- Pre-trip notes and guidelines.
- A special FEARLESS® Painter ALUMNA ONLY apron.
- A special alumna early registration for all returning students.
- Advice on travel plans before or after the trip if desired.
- Friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.
NOT Included in Registration:
Air, travel to and from airport, dinners, and supplies.
Here's my invitation to YOU!
Confirmation & Communication
Within 24 hours of making your deposit you will receive a welcome email. This is your registration confirmation and contains helpful info to help you start planning your trip to Oaxaca. Please keep this email in a safe place. It is recommended that you print it out.
IMPORTANT: All retreat information will be emailed to the email address you used to register with. If you require the materials to be sent to an alternate email address, please email Support@ConnieSolera.com and let us know right away.
Cancellations, Refunds, & Payment Schedule
A deposit of $650 USD will hold your space.
Cancellations made before October 1, 2020: Refunds, minus a $155 service fee, will be made until October 1, 2020. On and/or after October 1, 2020 your registration fee is non-refundable. Please email your cancellation to Support@ConnieSolera.com with your full name and email address you used to purchase registration. Your refund will be issued via Pay Pal within 72 business hours of receiving your cancellation.
Registration is NOT transferable.
The final balance is due before October 1, 2020.
You will receive an invoice from us for the final balance in September. We will contact you in August to inquire if you would prefer to pay the balance in two monthly payments a month apart instead.
On and after October 1, 2020: ALL SALES FINAL.
Lodging & Meals
Lodging is single occupancy. Each room comes with a full size bed, private bathroom, 24 hour access to the in-doors studio space, and a communal kitchen with refrigerator, stove, filtered water, dishes, and electric tea kettle.
Also included in the Paint FEARLESS Mexico registration is six breakfasts, six lunches, and afternoon light snacks. But because Oaxacan cuisine is so wonderful, dinners are not prearranged to give you freedom to choose where and what to eat. Connie will point you to her favorite restaurants if needed.
Everything is an easy walk from the private estate where we will be staying. Taxi’s are abundant and affordable if you prefer not to walk.
Most people pair up or go to dinner in groups, so don’t worry about dining alone. Travel costs are not included.
A detailed supply list will be included in your welcome email. We’ll be painting with acrylic paints. Using a Canson Mixed Media large sketchbook as our main substrate. As well as experimenting with Tombow pens and watercolors in a smaller sketchbook while we are out exploring. None of the supplies are very expensive and you are always welcome to improvise with what you already possess.Plus, we are literally a couple blocks from the Frida art store!
You DO need a passport that doesn’t expire for six months from your date of entry to Mexico.
You will fly into the Oaxaca de Juarex, Oaxaca airport.
Airport code is: OAX.
Oaxaca does have a direct flight from the USA from Houston on United Airlines or from Dallas on American Airlines.
Otherwise, you will likely change planes in Mexico City from your city of origin.
From the Oaxaca airport you’ll take a taxi to the private estate. Detailed instructions and the address will be provided in your welcome email.
Taxi fare is about $8 USD (150 pesos) per person and there is just one taxi counter inside the airport. Easy and stress free!
A great place to search for airfares is Skyscanner.com
You can see recommended travel routes by train, plane, ferry, and car to and from any destination on Rome2Rio.
If you have a question or concern please do not hesitate to contact us.