paint FEARLESS® Mexico
January 13-20, 2020 | Oaxaca City, Mexico | SOLD OUT!
Join me for my last retreat in Oaxaca, Mexico
This will be my last and final Paint FEARLESS Mexico retreat and sugar cube, we are going to have an amazing time!
We’ll take in new sites. See new art. Meet new artists. Try out new restaurants.
But most of all we’re going to paint like our hearts are on fire.
My final Oaxaca retreat is open to alumna only because I can’t imagine spending my last time in Oaxaca with anyone else but you. You know in your bones what magic Oaxaca holds — so lets go deeper.
Lets end one decade and begin another — it’s 2020!!!!
This retreat is going to be so bittersweet, so incredibly special, so perfect in that Oaxaca kind-of-way.
Come join me in Oaxaca one last time January 13-20, 2020 .
SOLD OUT! Please CONTACT US to be added to the waiting list.
Please read all of the following details before registering.
Your payments acts as agreement to the terms listed at the bottom of this page.
We will spend a day at Monte Alban sketching, touring, visiting the museum, and enjoying lunch at the scenic cafe.
A Little About Oaxaca, Mexico…
Oaxaca is pronounced Wa-Ha-Ka, and is both a city and a state (like New York, NY) in Southern Mexico.
Oaxaca, Mexico is a land of magic, mythos, and Art. You’ll find traditional weavers, sculptors, potters, dancers, musicians, storytellers and curanderas (indigenous healers) mixing it up with modern painters, photographers, writers, and poets.
Oaxaca is a Unesco world heritage site, with no less than 21 cathedrals within the historic center, towering limestone walls, and secret gardens behind every adobe walls and doorway.
Oaxaca is known as “the land of the seven moles“. My favorite mole of them all happens to be “guacomole” — Oaxaca has the best!
As we explore Oaxaca…
I’ll invite you to embrace the world as an Artist — we’ll hunt for visual symbols, unveil revealing metaphors, and open ourselves to serendipity, creativity, and the sweetness of the unknown.
I’ll share with you my favorite ways of collecting the richness of Oaxaca in your sketchbook and studio log and then show you how to incorporate it into your painting practice.
I’ll encourage you to fully FEEL Oaxaca — to allow it to take over your senses and guide your body of work.
I’ll lead you to some of the most inspiring murals, studios, galleries and museums where we’ll overindulge in painting! painting! painting!
Here’s the itinerary…
- Monday: We’ll begin with tapas and orientation starting at 5 PM.
- Tuesday: Breakfast. Morning workshop & FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Break. Afternoon workshop & FEARLESS® Painting.
- Wednesday: Breakfast. Visit Monte Alban, a large pre-Columbian archaeological site in the mountains of Oaxaca, where we’ll sketch, stroll the museum and gift store, and have lunch at its scenic cafe.
- Thursday: Breakfast. Morning workshop & FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Break. Afternoon workshop & FEARLESS® Painting.
- Friday: Breakfast. Morning Workshop & FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Visit to the Painting Museum to see the new show. Afternoon workshop & FEARLESS® Painting.
- Saturday: Breakfast. Visit Oaxaca’s paper factory founded by artist Francisco Tule, the Tule tree, and the studio and home of a Zapotec weaving family in the town of Teotitlán del Valle. We’ll also have lunch and if time permits we’ll visit a mezcal factory on the ride back to Oaxaca.
- Sunday: Breakfast. FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Final shows. Closing circle. Farewell dinner.
- Monday: Check out is at 11am.
We'll visit the weaving village, Teotitlán del Valle, and see the workshop of traditional Zapotec weavers.
Here are the important details!
STARTS:: Monday, January 13, 2020 at 5pm with tapas and orientation.
ENDS: Sunday, January 20, 2020 with a group dinner (dinner not included).
CHECK-OUT: is on Monday, January 21, 2020 by 11am (breakfast included).
PLACE: A private estate a few blocks from the Zocolo
SPACE IS LIMITED TO 8 PAINT FEARLESS MEXICO ALUMNA. THIS RETREAT INCLUDES PRIVATE ROOM WITH A SINGLE BED AND PRIVATE BATHROOM.
Included in Registration:
- 7 nights single occupancy lodging at a private estate.
- 6 breakfasts, 6 lunches, & welcome tapas.
- Guided tour of the Museum of Oaxacan Painters.
- Guided visit to Monte Alban archaeological site for touring & sketching.
- Guided visit to the Oaxaca Paper Factory, the Tule tree, and to the village of Teotitlán del Valle.
- Workshop instruction, support, and tons of one-on-one guidance from Connie Solera.
- Special FEARLESS® Painting hand outs to take home with you.
- Access to Connie Solera’s personal collage stash to use in your own work.
- An intimate glimpse into Connie Solera’s painting process as she builds a body of work.
- Pre-trip notes and guidelines.
- A special FEARLESS® Painter ALUMNA ONLY apron.
- A special alumni discount & VIP early registration for all returning students.
- Advice on travel plans before or after the trip if desired.
- Friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.
NOT Included in Registration:
Air, travel, dinners, supplies, entrance fees, and tipping for Art House staff, tour guide, and cafe.
Confirmation & Communication
Within 24 hours of making your deposit you will receive a welcome email. This is your registration confirmation and contains helpful info to help you start planning your trip to Oaxaca. Please keep this email in a safe place. It is recommended that you print it out.
IMPORTANT: All retreat information will be emailed to the email address you used to register with. If you require the materials to be sent to an alternate email address, please email Support@ConnieSolera.com and let us know right away.
Cancellations, Refunds, & Payment Schedule
A deposit of $500 USD will hold your space.
Cancellations made before October 1, 2019: Refunds, minus a $155 service fee, will be made until October 1, 2019. On and/or after October 1, 2019 your registration fee is non-refundable. Please email your cancellation to Support@ConnieSolera.com with your full name and email address you used to purchase registration. Your refund will be issued via Pay Pal within 72 business hours of receiving your cancellation.
Registration is NOT transferable.
The final balance of $2150 is due by October 1, 2019.
You will receive an invoice from us for the final balance in September. We will contact you in August to inquire if you would prefer to pay the balance in two monthly payments a month apart instead.
On and after October 1, 2019: ALL SALES FINAL.
Lodging & Meals
Lodging is single occupancy. Each room comes with a single bed, private bathroom, 24 hour access to the in-doors studio space, and a communal kitchenette with refrigerator, stove, filtered water, dishes, and electric tea kettle.
Also included in the Paint FEARLESS Mexico registration is six breakfasts and six lunches. But because Oaxacan cuisine is so wonderful, dinners are not prearranged to give you freedom to choose where and what to eat. Connie will point you to her favorite restaurants if needed.
Everything is an easy walk from the private estate where we will be staying. Taxi’s are abundant and affordable if you prefer not to walk.
Most people pair up or go to dinner in groups, so don’t worry about dining alone. Travel costs are not included.
A detailed supply list will be included in your welcome email. We’ll be painting with acrylic paints. Using a Canson Mixed Media large sketchbook as our main substrate. As well as experimenting with Tombow pens and watercolors in a smaller sketchbook while we are out exploring. None of the supplies are very expensive and you are always welcome to improvise with what you already possess.
You DO need a passport that doesn’t expire for six months from your date of entry to Mexico.
You will fly into the Oaxaca de Juarex, Oaxaca airport.
Airport code is: OAX.
Oaxaca does have a direct flight from the USA from Houston on United Airlines.
Otherwise, you will likely change planes in Mexico City (real easy) from your city of origin.
From the Oaxaca airport you’ll take a taxi to the private estate. Detailed instructions and the address will be provided in your welcome email.
Taxi fare is about $7 USD per person and there is just one taxi counter inside the airport. Easy and stress free!
A great place to search for airfares is Skyscanner.com
You can see recommended travel routes by train, plane, ferry, and car to and from any destination on Rome2Rio.
If you have a question or concern please do not hesitate to contact us.