There’s no better place to ignite a fiery love affair with your Artist Soul than Oaxaca, Mexico.
Oaxaca will seduce your senses with her cobblestone roads, brightly colored architecture, delicious foods, warm friendly people, and most of all her art.
From powerful murals to the traditional crafts you can cradle in your hand, to a rich, robust contemporary art scene — painting is the pulse of Oaxaca — and it will breathe life into your creativity.
Paint FEARLESS Mexico is a week-long retreat guided by me — Connie Solera, for women artists that want to paint FEARLESS®, nourish their Artist Soul, and yearn for a community of kindreds to head out on an adventure with!
Oaxaca, land of magic, mythos, and Art.
A Little About Oaxaca, Mexico…
Oaxaca is pronounced Wa-Ha-Ka, and is both a city and a state (like New York, NY) in Southern Mexico.
Oaxaca, Mexico is a land of magic, mythos, and Art. You’ll find traditional weavers, sculptors, potters, dancers, musicians, storytellers and curanderas (indigenous healers) mixing it up with modern painters, photographers, writers, and poets.
Oaxaca is a Unesco world heritage site, with no less than 21 cathedrals within the historic center, towering limestone walls, and secret gardens behind every adobe walls and doorway.
Oaxaca is known as “the land of the seven moles“. My favorite mole of them all happens to be “guacomole” — Oaxaca has the best!
As we explore Oaxaca…
I’ll invite you to embrace the world as an Artist — we’ll hunt for visual symbols, unveil revealing metaphors, and open ourselves to serendipity, creativity, and the sweetness of the unknown.
I’ll share with you my favorite ways of collecting the richness of Oaxaca in your sketchbook and studio log and then show you how to incorporate it into your painting practice.
I’ll encourage you to fully FEEL Oaxaca — to allow it to take over your senses and guide your body of work.
I’ll lead you to some of the most inspiring murals, studios, galleries and museums where we’ll overindulge in painting! painting! painting!
Here’s the itinerary…
- Day One: We’ll begin our adventure with tapas and orientation starting at 5pm.
- Day Two: Breakfast. Morning workshop & FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Break. Afternoon workshop & FEARLESS® Painting.
- Day Three: Breakfast. Mini workshop on how to create watercolor sketches while traveling. Walking tour of Oaxaca including stops at my favorite galleries, sites, and the art store. Lunch. Time to wander and explore on your own.
- Day Four: Breakfast. Morning workshop & FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Break. Afternoon workshop & FEARLESS® Painting.
- Day Five: Breakfast. Morning Workshop & FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Visit to the Painting Museum.
- Day Six: Breakfast. Visit the Ex-monastery of Santiago Apostol in the town of Cuilapan de Guerrero for touring and sketching. Lunch. Visit the village of San Martín Tilcajete including visiting traditional paintings studios, viewing nearby murals and cemetery.
- Day Seven: Breakfast. FEARLESS® Painting. Lunch. Final shows. Closing circle. Farewell dinner at Restaurante Catedral.
- Day Eight: Check out is at 11am.
Embrace the world as a true artist and use Oaxaca as your point of inspiration
And we’re going to Paint FEARLESS®…A LOT!
During our time in the studio, I will guide you through an intuitive journey of art making while sharing my favorite techniques and insights on being bold and fearless creatively.
We will dip our brushes into our own personal narratives and welcome the spirit of Oaxaca to take us deeper into our most honest expression.
At Paint FEARLESS®, space is limited to 8 artists so you can expect loads of one-on-one guidance, support, and an intimate peek into my own creative process to inspire and uplift you.
As always, all levels of experience are welcome and celebrated.
WE’LL BE STAYING NEAR THE ZOCOLO -- THE HEART OF OAXACA CITY!
We will be staying and working in a private estate only blocks away from the bustling city square called the Zocolo.
We will be walking distance to everything, including fabulous restaurants, galleries, museums and shops.
Each room comes with a single bed and a private bathroom. The studio is located right outside your room — you can roll out of bed and paint in your pj’s!