30 Journals 30 Days: HEIDI NEWSTRAND-DILLEY
Published on July 21, 2010
How long have you been Art Journaling?
There are so many wonderful journal artists to choose from…but here are some of my regular internet haunts:
- Teesha Moore: www.teeshamoore.com
- Rachel Whetzel and all of the members of: www.oneyearartjournal.blogspot.com
- Bridgette Guerzon Mills: www.bgmartjournal.blogspot.com
- Donna Downey: www.donnadowney.typepad.com
- Emily Falconbridge: www.embers.typepad.com
- Mary Ann Moss: www.dispatchfromla.typepad.com
- and one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES is Dan Eldon, a hero & amazing artist – may he RIP: http://www.daneldon.org/journals/
- Step 1: Lock that inner perfectionistic, critical beyotch in the closet and turn up your favorite music so you can’t hear her criticizing you.
- Step 2: Get yourself any kind of journal and some crayons, ink, pens, paint, or markers and just dive in headfirst! If the blank page staring back at you freaks you out a little, paste some text (torn dictionary page perhaps?) on the journal or pour some paint on the page, close the book and smoosh it around, close your eyes &scribble or maybe use your hand to fingerpaint, and then voila! You’ve made a mark!
- Step 3: Give yourself permission to let it all out, be yourself, choose colors & images YOU are drawn to, and especially – permission to make ugly pages…some of my most horrific looking pages mean the most to be because of the PROCESS of making those pages…
- Step 4: Still not ready to jump in? Get yourself online and google “art journal” or visit some of the links shared here during these 30 days and you’ll find more inspiration than you know what to do with!
- Caution: While it is tempting, and sometimes helpful, to try to emulate someone else’s style as you’re getting comfortable…be sure to let the YOU shine through…this is YOUR journal, you don’t have to show it to anyone, and for pete’s sake if you hate it when you’re done, gesso over it and start again! It’s all good. 🙂
I grew up in CO, blessed with 2 very creative parents…at 17 I moved to Southern CA and enthusiastically earned my bachelor’s degree in art, and upon graduation quickly realized that while art is the substance of life, it is not a substance that would pay my bills! Thus, I chose to continue my education while racking up lots more student loan debt to become a foster care social worker by day, which turned out to be an amazing and rewarding career, so it’s all good.
I’m ridiculously happily married to the most incredible & talented long-haired rock & roller of my dreams, and I spend the rest of my time obsessed with art, social justice, devouring literature, travel, rock & roll, coffee, photography, film, left-leaning activism, doing handstands on the beach & trying my best to embody the golden rule & be helpful to the world somehow. I’m really not ADHD…but you could say I am “coffee enhanced.”
Art Journal LOVE Letters is on sale for $24.99 the entire month of July!Go HERE to register and join Art Journal LOVE’s 1 year anniversary party!
Never miss a blog post!
Sign up to get blog updates sent straight to your inbox